Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Creativity application in day-to-day life


Please read below an interesting application of creativity techniques in day-to-day life.
It was shared by Tr Krishna for creativity workshop participants.

I hope you will find it useful and will be able to relate this article with your real life.

---------------------------------------


Creativity application in day-to-day life
(Creativity application and Implementing Tata Docomo 3G on Ipad in Pune, India.)

Recently, I upgraded my iPad to the 3G one. I used to have a wifi one. I was thrilled at the potential ability to browse wherever I am using 3G The issue now was getting a 3G connection and making it work on Pune. I did not want to deal with BSNL. Here is the story of how I successfully made 3G work. The interesting part is that I had to use Creativity principles and that is what the lines below will explain further. 

Application 1: Concept

People told me only BSNL 3G works on iPad in India. I thought that Tata Docomo 3G works on cell phones in India. So, when I applied the concept principle, the clarity i got was - "What works for cell phones should work for the iPad too". So I boldly ordered a prepaid Tata Docomo card by paying the minimum 300 Rs.

Application 2 : Take Risk (Jugaad)
My office assistant told me that microsim is not available in India. I read some websites and and learnt that I can cut the regular sim card to a normal sim card. I am bad at using the scissors and was not sure If I should cut it myself.  Somebody told me that in Pimpri, you get SIM card cutters. I went to the Samsung Showroom in Pimpri who was doing similar cutting of simcards for galaxy and requested them if they can cut  my sim card. They said yes and cut my Tata Docomo prepaid card by inserting into a sim cutting machine (a machine that just costs Rs 200) and gave it to me. I inserted it into my iPad and it successfully showed Tata Docomo 3G. So, I patted my back that taking risks does work.

Application 3: Never Never Give Up
The top bar on the iPad showed Tata Docomo 3G. But I could not access internet. In settings, I could access the Tata Docomo menus like cricket, news, etc. But I just could not get it to access the net. Here is when my nightmare with Tata Docomo call centre began. I called them and told them I am unable to access internet. The first time I was told that in Pune they have not begun 3G. Next day, I called up the person who had sold the 3G sim card and he said ofcourse they had 3G in Pune and showed me 3G browsing working on a Nokia cell phone. So, I called Tata Docomo call center again next day.  I wanted to speak in English. But they ended up speaking to me in HIndi and though I had pressed the right buttons for 3G technical support, the person on the other line had no clue. I requested angrily for his manager to be put on line. His supervisor came on line and informed me that it is not working since I only have a voice plan. I need a data plan. The minimum available was a Rs 90 data plan that I needed to buy which will be valid for 10 days. So, I asked my office to buy me a 90 Rs recharge. They did and still the same result. I could not browse. The next day, I called the Tata Docomo call center and they told me that my recharge that had occurred was a normal recharge.  The call center told me that I when I do a recharge, I should specifically ask for special recharge. I did this. But to no avail. I still could not browse. I called the call center again. They put me on a long hold when I specifically asked them if there are any settings for TATA DOCOMO 3G I need to do for my iPhone. They finally told me, "As of know we don't have settings for Ipad sir.". I was beginning to get frustrated.  But decided not to give up since 'experiment till you succeed' is an important principle of creativity...

Application 4: Analogy
I had almost decided to switch to BSNL, but heard horror storied about their customer service. At TATA DOCOMO, at least they pickup the phone. So, I decided to give it a last short. A principle of creativity is to look at similar options for ideas. This is called the substitute analogy technique. So, what is closest to the iPAD. It is probably the iPhone. I browsed the net for IPHONE 3G SETTINGS for TATA DOCOMO. A couple of sites recommended that I should enter the APN settings as TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET. I called the call center and asked them if not for iPad, what to do for iPHONE? They told me the same thing too. So, I entered TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET as APN in Settings\Cellular Data\APN Settings. I left the username and password blank. There is no save option on the iPAD under APN Settings. So, I went back to settings and came back to APN Settings. What I had entered had disappeared. That means the system was not saving it. I then decided to restart. I entered the APN Settings again and while on that screen, I pressed the top restart button for some time till it showed me the power off option. I powered off and powered on again. And Viola - the settings TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET did not disappear. I crossed my fingers and clicked Safari open. Lo and behold, I could browse. I was thrilled at finding the answer. I tested it for a few hours till I was sure 3G indeed works.

Application 5: Spread the Word
One of the key principles of creativity is to spread your ideas. Since the internet had a lot of people saying TATA DOCOMO 3G in IPAD does not work in Pune, I decided to write this email/blog post. I also went to TATA DOCOMO customer support site and chatted with a representative. I gave him all the details so that other users get the information. I got a reply back from them that they will forward this information to the right department. I have a feeling they are not going to do it. So, this blog post may as well help.  After all, nothing spreads better than ideas and the more you spread, the more you receive ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment